Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Die TV Die!


Die TV Die! By Tedi Tuttle Wixom 5/4/99 transcribed 2/27/12

Obituaries are packed with friends
And neighbors lying dead of heart attacks.
Why? Why in America are we insistent
Upon rushing headlong into the jaws of death?
Why can’t we relax? Why can’t we rest?
We need more rest and more silent time.
We need a few friends who are humans
Not merely Mr. Computer, Mr. TV, and Mr. Internet.

We all have the same hours in a day.
Time is a precious commodity.
I need a prescription for ocean waves to soothe my soul,
More barefoot time in the sand,
And less news to cause information overload.
Perhaps, if I cut the cables, wires, and electricity,
I could regain my senses and sensibility.
Die TV die!

I need to feel fresh mown grass on bare feet, or
Sun streaming across my face as the sun disappears
On the Oquirrh Mountains as I gaze west, while
Tossing pebbles in the Great Salt Lake.